June 5, 2009

Wormwood v.2 & v.3 by Ben Templesmith

What can I say, I love Ben Templesmith’s art, and his storytelling is just odd. He makes me laugh and cringe and giggle when I catch pop references.

Wormwood: It Only Hurts When I Pee and Wormwood: Calamari Rising, continue the story of Wormwood and his adventures in this and other dimensions. In It Only Hurts When I Pee, Wormwood and his companions run into trouble at a leprechaun fight (and these are not cute little leprechauns) and must go off to Leprechaunia in search of the Queen and a cure. In addition they run into trouble with the Squidmen (think Borg from Star Trek: the Next Generation but with tentacles.)

In Calamari Rising, Wormwood and his companions must fight the Brotherhood of the Calamari (squidmen) as they try to take over Earth. Will Medusa and her order survive the attack and will Wormwood escape the clutches of the Queen of the Calamari.

We learn a bit more about Wormwood in both of these volumes and though I’m not always sure I get the humor, I love the artwork and it almost doesn’t matter what the story is, I’m so fascinated with the art and this is the first graphic novel artist that I can say this about.

No comments: