May 25, 2009

Persepolis-Marjane Satrapi

 

Shop Indie Bookstores

This was my second foray into graphic novels, and I think I'm becoming a fan.  While completely different than American Born Chinese, this graphic novel still held my attention.  I feel like "recent" history isn't taught or talked about enough, so reading about the revolution in Iran was extremely interesting and informative.  I liked that though the book deals with serious issues there was still a bit of humor intertwined in the story.  I think this could be used easily in a high school English class, or in a world history course.  I'd be interested in hearing how teachers have used it, as I know many have.  

Awards:

2004 ALA Alex Award  

YALSA Best Books for Young Adults 

Booklist Editor's Choice for Young Adults 

New York Public Library Books for the Teen Age  

School Library Journal Adult Books for Young Adults 

A New York Times Notable Book 

A Time Magazine "Best Comix of the Year" 

A San Francisco Chronicle and Los Angeles Times Best-seller 

Originally posted at: http://yalitgoodbadugly.wordpress.com/2009/04/23/perepolis-marjane-satrapi/

 

No comments: